Sunday, January 17, 2016

Crazy Rock'N Sushi - Irvine


If you allow me to generalize for a moment: There are two kinds of sushi bars for two kinds of people.

Crazy Rock'N Sushi, just by the virtue of its name, is for the sushi consumer who'd rather have Katy Perry blasting through the speakers as they eat than stodgy shamisen music. The kind of person you'd find here would also most likely chase his meal down with a sake bomb or two.

Depending on my mood, I can be exactly that kind of person. And when the mood does strike, I go to places like Crazy Rock'N Sushi, where no one, not even the chef, will flinch if I make a thick sludge out of my wasabi and soy sauce.



Yes, Crazy Rock'N Sushi is, for lack of a better term, a Bro Sushi joint. But it is a good one, even as the service staff at new outlet of it in Irvine is still earning their sea legs. The food and drink, though, was flawless. The nigiri was cut so thickly and generously, I couldn't see the rice beneath it. And the unagi was nicely broiled--sea candy at its most sweet.

Although I've rarely met a salmon skin roll I didn't like, Crazy Rock'N Sushi's was particularly crisp and particularly good. I enjoyed everything I had here, especially a luscious spicy scallop roll that was actually spicy, a tender-crisp sauté of green beans freckled with loads of garlic, and fried oysters that went rather well with a yuzu beer cocktail--a drink that I can only seem to order at places like Crazy Rock'N Sushi.

Crazy Rock'N Sushi
5365 Alton Pkwy.
Irvine, CA 92604

THIS WEEK ON OC WEEKLY:
Spicy Lao - Garden Grove

2 Comments:

At 7:13 PM, Blogger Greg said...

The question for me is, why pick a place like this over, say, one of the many AYCE Korean sushi places in/around Irvine?

 
At 6:53 AM, Blogger elmomonster said...

I actually prefer these bro sushi joints more than the AYCE ones. No matter how much I eat at the AYCE's, I never leave happy; just overstuffed!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home