Friday, January 22, 2016

Buns N Rice - Costa Mesa



What do you expect out of a place that's called "Buns N Rice"? Sandwiches, maybe? Teriyaki rice bowls, for sure.

But you would wrong about the teriyaki. Since Buns N Rice is actually a Korean-owned lunch joint, the rice bowls don't have a speck of teriyaki in it. Instead, it's beef bulgogi, chicken, or spicy pork.



And when you order the any of their "bowls", you don't get a bowl; you get a massive clamshell container. And it comes out steaming hot from the griddle. You have to blow on it for a few minutes before you dig in.

I tried the spicy pork--which was in ribbons with onions--and realized, since it was still fuming, it was like eating at a Korean BBQ without having to cook the meat myself.

And then there was the price. For the big pile of hot, made-to-order food you see above, I paid $5.49 (before tax)--less than a Subway sandwich.

Didn't expect that, did you?

Buns N Rice
20048 Santa Ana Ave
Costa Mesa, CA 92626

THIS WEEK ON OC WEEKLY:
Skyloft - Laguna Beach

7 Comments:

At 8:50 AM, Blogger Greg said...

Is it a bit like OK?

 
At 8:28 AM, Blogger elmomonster said...

Hmm...I'm not familiar with OK. Is that a name of a dish?

I believe this was a rendition of dwaeji bulgogi.

Or were you referring to Dae Myoung Ok Korean Restaurant in Irvine?

 
At 4:57 AM, Blogger Greg said...

my fault, I was referring to Oriental Kitchen from way back when at the albertson shopping center on campus. But the more I thought about it the less related these two things seem to be. Lol

 
At 7:39 AM, Blogger elmomonster said...

Ah, Oriental Kitchen! Memories are flooding back!

Actually I think it is like that, as OK did serve a spicy pork dish that might have been dwaeji bulgogi!

I still remember how OK put a bowl over the meat as it cooks on the griddle to let it steam, but that was in the 90s and I think the ownership changed since I went there last!

Ah, memories!


 
At 8:44 PM, Blogger Greg Hao said...

Ownership didn't change, they just closed it down. Didn't I at some point mentioned to you that I was friends with the daughter of the owners? Not that I ever got any discount because of it :P

The last time I was in the shopping centre, it was some random taiwanese cafe (wasn't that good tbh)

 
At 8:14 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Will try this for lunch tomorrow... and Sushi Noguchi after I get my IRS refund -Ohshima is my #1, but gotta try after your other post. Thanks for the recs!

 
At 6:49 AM, Blogger elmomonster said...

Veronica,

Thanks for the comment! Hope you like Buns N Rice. It's basic, but good, comfort food for me. The place should actually be called "Rice N Meat". What you said about taxes just reminded me that it's time for me to pay up...so it's a good thing I ate Noguchi when I did. :-(

 

Post a Comment

<< Home