Sunday, October 18, 2015

Mediterrania Grill - Irvine


I know what you're thinking: if I'm going to review a Middle Eastern joint, why not the new The Halal Guys--the only Middle Eastern joint that seems to matter right now?

Well, it was because I tried to review The Halal Guys that I ended up here. I was in line, realized it would take an hour or more before I would get to order, and it occurred to me I had a coupon in my pocket for this place--which serves essentially the same kind of food without so much as a single person in front of me.

Just like at Halal Guys, giant cones of meat twirled in the corner. When I ordered the chicken, a worker went up to it, took a long serrated knife and started shaving long strips she caught in a saute pan. But then something different happened: she shoved the meat into a Salamander oven.

When the chicken came out, it's crispy. The outer edges were rimmed with char such that each bite is met with the flavor of caramelization. It's all tucked into a toasted pita with some lettuce and tomato, smeared with garlic sauce, and tasted as good as any chicken wrap I've ever had before or since.

As of this writing, I've actually tried The Halal Guys and have an opinion of it that I will put into a proper review. But guess what? Just as with anything having to do with Halal Guys: you're going to have to wait.

Mediterrania Grill
17925 MacArthur Blvd
Irvine, CA 92614
949-553-0811
http://www.mediterraniagrill.com

THIS WEEK ON OC WEEKLY:
Rock & Brews - Buena Park

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home