Friday, May 15, 2015

Wei-Chuan's Microwavable Stewed Beef Noodle Soup

Ah, noodle soups. What better dish is there when it's cold and rainy? It's the kind of meal I crave all the time, but especially during downpours, which is exactly the kind of weather that's not conducive to going out to get it. But what are you options? Well, short of calling delivery, there used to be just two: make it from scratch or phone it in with instant.

Now there's a third option: nuke it from frozen. Wei-Chuan, the Taiwan-based manufacturer of oyster sauces, pickles, and frozen dumplings has started selling these babies: frozen beef noodle soup, a.k.a. niu rou man, the dish served in more restaurants in Irvine than burgers, tacos, or pho.


Wei-Chuan is actually not the only producer of microwavable noodle soups; it just seems to be the only one that's making this specific kind. And it is delicious. The noodles, a shade thinner than udon, are a pleasure to chew. The soup is fragrant of anise, rich, dark, with a meaty richness, sweetness, and tang. And although there isn't as much meat in the bowl as it shows on the box, it's real stewed beef, with, you know, beefy fibers and stuff. And there's actual spinach, you know, with spinach-y fibers and stuff.

In fact, if you served me this noodle soup at a restaurant, I probably wouldn't be able to tell it was microwaved. Honest!

Each box retails for about $4. I found mine at H-Mart. And though the instructions--involving tearing out a perforated circle from the cardboard to make a sort of cradle for the bowl and pouring a measured amount of water in two separate steps--are slightly more complicated than for a Nissin Cup Noodle, the rewards are worth the effort. Besides, what else are you going to do? It's pouring outside.

So buy it now and then save it for a rainy day...literally.

THIS WEEK ON OC WEEKLY:
Fins Poke Fusion - Mission Viejo

4 Comments:

At 3:44 PM, Blogger Greg Hao said...

I've bought the wei-chuan noodle a few times and I agree that it's not bad. My personal favourite though is this: http://24h.pchome.com.tw/prod/DBAA00-A36723720

I know it links to a Taiwanese site but on some rare occasions I have found it in the US. My usual method is to throw a couple in my luggage whenever I'm in Taiwan. I'll remember to bring a few for you next time!

 
At 7:57 AM, Blogger elmomonster said...

Sorry for the late reply. Been working on a bigger than average post on Napa Rose's Chef's Counter.

Oh man, why is Taiwan so awesome with its pre-packaged and instant noodles. Another friend brought back a noodle that you dress in oil and comes with a miso-ish soup (actually there are several varieties of this that he's brought back). Phenomenal! I wish I took a picture of the package.

 
At 4:34 PM, Blogger PDS said...

Bought this today at my local Kroger. Tasty but sodium overload. This serving has 2,170 mg of sodium 😮 That is 90% of recommended daily allowance. Yikes!

 
At 11:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just make sure to not drink the broth! I never drink the instant noodle broth since it’s always loaded with high sodium content. Enjoy!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home