Sunday, May 31, 2015

Cha For Tea - Irvine

I've said it before, but I'll say it again: I've grown tired of boba milk tea. There was a time that I craved it like a crack addict, when I relished the forever chew of those marble-sized pellets, yearned to feel the thunk-thunk-thunk of them being propelled up through the oversized straw. It was something I discovered in my late teens, then gorged on for a decade, then got sick of.

These days, I pass on the boba. Don't get me wrong. I still go to Tapioca Express on a fairly regular basis. It's just that now I always order the taro milk tea, sans the tapioca pearls.



Taro milk tea is, to me, the closest I can get to a malted milk shake without actually committing to all the ice cream fat and calories. It has the same mellow Ovaltine sweetness--that union of the slightly starchy and the creamy. And it comforts me, every time.

Tapioca Express makes my favorite rendition, which I'm not sure even has any tea in it; but just as good, if not lighter and with a more tea-like tannins in it, is Cha For Tea's.

And whenever I get a taro milk tea there (or anywhere, for that matter), an order of spicy popcorn chicken is a must. And Cha For Tea's chicken is one of the spiciest and crispiest in town. The drink complements the chicken, a pairing as essential as milk and cookies, beer and pretzels, but even better than that.

Cha for Tea
4187 Campus Drive M173
Irvine, CA 92612
(949) 725-0300

THIS WEEK ON OC WEEKLY:
Kettlebar - Tustin

5 Comments:

At 1:56 PM, Blogger Greg Hao said...

Check out Boba Smoothie (http://www.bobasmoothie.com) over on Harbor & Baker. The name is quite crap but their popcorn chicken is probably one of the best popcorn chicken I've had outside of Taiwan. Popcorn chicken over here in Irvine by the old 99 is also decent as we've discussed in the past.

 
At 7:49 AM, Blogger elmomonster said...

I've actually tried Boba Smoothie! Except I don't think I tried the popcorn chicken. Time for a revisit if you think their chicken is as good as Popcorn Chicken!

 
At 4:01 PM, Anonymous Jennifer said...

I feel the same way about boba! I used to love it and now I would just rather have a plain milk tea. Maybe we're just getting old...

 
At 4:55 PM, Blogger Greg Hao said...

@Jennifer & @elmo - I've been drinking taro & jasmine milk tea (much stronger tea flavour) for years!

 
At 6:25 AM, Blogger elmomonster said...

Jennifer,

I think you hit it right on the head. We're getting older. Even more mature...although I don't know if the "mature" part can always apply to me! :-)

Greg,

There was a time I was fixated on honeydew milk tea or whatever that honeydew drink was at Tapioca Express. Glad I grew out of that! I think it was at the point they started using the powder...yuck.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home