Wednesday, March 18, 2015

The Original Sriracha Hot Chili Sauce Popcorn


Have you just about had it with all these Sriracha sauce-inspired products? Most of it is ridiculous. Sriracha beer? I bet it tastes like what it is: a gimmick.

Besides that, most of these products don't have much of in the flavor of the Huy Fong brand hot sauce that started it all. For the record: that Lay's potato chip flavor was let down, and even though I adore Jack In The Box, I'm avoiding their Sriracha burger at all costs. I figure it can't be better than what I do with their already heavenly two-for-99-cents tacos, which is cover it in Huy Fong's sauce when I get them home.

But then I found this at the market formerly known as Marukai. Notice that it has all the markings of an actual Huy Fong branded product. And when I looked at the ingredients, actual Huy Fong Foods Sriracha is listed after the popcorn and the sunflower oil used to pop it.

And after tasting it, let me tell you: this is only the Sriracha derivative product the world needs. It's really spicy. I mean, scorching. And it has the same zing, that garlicky tang, that secret-recipe signature flavor that only Huy Fong has and other imitators just can't copy...and man, there a lot of imitators out there!

THIS WEEK ON OC WEEKLY:
La Pollada - Anaheim

6 Comments:

At 9:29 AM, Blogger Greg Hao said...

For what it's worth, apparently the sriracha beer is one of the few officially licensed from Huy Fong products out there. Beer snob friends of mine say it's not bad but I've never had it myself.

 
At 9:53 AM, Blogger Pamguin said...

That popcorn is hands down the best-tasting popcorn. Ever.

 
At 1:22 PM, Blogger OC Paul said...

I've also seen this popcorn at the Korean supermarket chain HMart!

 
At 11:17 AM, Blogger elmomonster said...

Greg,

Well, that's surprising on both points: that Huy Fong actually licensed that and that it tastes good! I guess I may have to try it after all!

Pamguin,

Yeah it is! It really is!

OC Paul,

Really? Even better! That's a heckuva lot closer to me...and they don't have that cumbersome membership thing.

 
At 3:35 PM, Anonymous Dee said...

that place also have spam macadamia....

 
At 7:58 AM, Blogger elmomonster said...

Dee,

SPAM Macadamia. If it could be more Hawaiian, it would need a lei!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home