Friday, March 13, 2015

Fatburger - Victorville


Fatburger, the burger chain I prefer over In-N-Out, is an endangered species in Orange County. A few months ago, the Aliso Viejo branch shuttered. Before that the one in Fashion Island's food court became a Five Guys. The two that were in Irvine closed a long time before, as did the one in Brea. Only one Fatburger remains in OC: Buena Park, near Knott's.

I can't tell you what happened with this once-thriving chain--why it dwindled down to nothing here. What I can tell you is that whenever I pass one, I stop in. And this is exactly what I did when we saw the sign as we drove through Victorville on our way back from Vegas.

What I discovered is that the Victorville Fatburger isn't just a Fatburger, but a Fatburger with a full bar attached to it. Added to that, it's probably one of the best-looking, cleanest, and best-managed Fatburgers I've encountered yet.



Just look at the way they arranged the homemade onion rings in a neat horizontal stack. Most important of all: The burger was just as good as it always is. I added a fried egg, of course, as I always do, but the patty had real girth, so that you could taste the beef, the charred crusty edges, and how it all stood up against the pickles, relish, onions, mustard--you know--the works.

As I ate the burger I was reminded of its now too prophetic motto: "The Last Great Hamburger Stand."

Fatburger
12748 Amargosa Road Ste #7
Victorville, CA 92391
(760)245-8088

THIS WEEK ON OC WEEKLY:
Panxa Cocina - Long Beach

8 Comments:

At 12:40 PM, Blogger amk714 said...

Hello, Elmo. This is my first comment on your food blog, but I've been reading it for years, and you do excellent work.

I agree with you. I don't know the reason for Fatburger's decline. Marketing, maybe? Regardless, I did not know there is only one location in the O.C. now. I'll have to visit it again soon. Fortunately, I live relatively close to it.

Keep posting, and good luck to you.--Alexander

 
At 7:52 AM, Blogger elmomonster said...

Alex,

Thank you for the comment and also for reading my blog for so long!

Yes, I have to make it out to Buena Park as well (ironically, it's the only OC Fatburger I hadn't been to) and see if it's as good as this Victorville one!

Thanks again for the comment!

 
At 7:59 AM, Blogger KirkK said...

Man, that's a bummer. We used to go the Brea lcoation when we lived in Hacienda Heights. It's our preferred burger as well. I gotta find one now.....Fatburger on the Char.

 
At 6:45 AM, Blogger elmomonster said...

Kirk,

Yes, a bummer indeed. I also used to go to the Brea location. But you know, I miss the one in Irvine the most, with the jukebox and everything. Sigh!

 
At 5:54 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

The reason for the decline is simple. It's just not that good. It's average. There is more competition now that surpasses their burgers in taste and price.

 
At 8:03 AM, Blogger elmomonster said...

Ali,

I would have to respectfully disagree on taste!

Five Guys. The Habit. In-N-Out. Smashburger. No recent fast-casual burger chain of late, in my humble opinion, comes close.

But of course, saying my burger joint is better than your burger joint is as futile an argument as anyone could have. We might as well argue over whose kid is more cute!

I appreciate your comment, however.

 
At 9:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Since the one in Victorville has a full bar, should it not be compared to gourmet burger chains (full table service) like Red Robin, Slater's 50/50, The Counter, Eureka, etc rather than to fast-casual burger chains?

Any recommendation of a good gourmet burger place near irvine?

 
At 2:45 PM, Blogger elmomonster said...

Anon,

Sorry for the late reply.

The Victorville Fatburger does seem different than the other Fatburgers, primarily because of that bar. But it's still counter service and although the bar is there in the same room, you have to walk over to its counter to order a beer.

As far as a good gourmet burger place in Irvine: I would have to say Mick's Karma Bar. Possibly my favorite burger of them all.

Here's my review of Mick's

 

Post a Comment

<< Home