Friday, January 09, 2015

Houston's - Irvine



Did I ever mention I like Houston's a whole lot? This is a chain that has all the corporate polish, and puts out food that's consistently good--the high bar when it comes to classic American meat-and-potatoes cooking.

There was a smoked salmon appetizer, a slab of it pink and flaky, served with toasted bread and a tarragon aioli that's simplicity and elegance defined. There was the French dip, a fist-sized wad of rosy-hued carved beef hugged between two shiny planks of a toasted roll with a mound of house-made shoestring fries.

And then there's the thing I always get: the ribs. It's not BBQ; it's just really, really good ribs. Kissed with bits of char, sugary glaze turned to caramel, and meat that tears off with a tug.

After I was done, they came around with steaming hot towels to wipe my gunked up fingers and sauce-covered lips.

Houston's
2991 Michelson Drive
Irvine, CA 92612
(949) 833-0977

THIS WEEK ON OC WEEKLY:
Kitakata Ramen Ban Nai - Costa Mesa

4 Comments:

At 9:59 AM, Blogger Greg Hao said...

I would love Houston's more if it weren't so damned expensive. But damn do they have awesome fries.

Think I might have found where I'm going for dinner tonight....

 
At 7:43 AM, Blogger elmomonster said...

I love the fries! Yes, I do wish it were less expensive, but if it ever lowers its prices, I don't want Houston's to ever cut any corners!

 
At 9:39 AM, Blogger Greg Hao said...

I know someone who works in Hillstone corporate and ya, they're never going to lower prices. ;)

 
At 8:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I miss the free corkage : (

 

Post a Comment

<< Home